Showing 20 from 24 ItemsToggle Filters
The vine of Pausanias are huge trunks of vines that spread over trees (oaks) in the churchyard of St. Nicholas in the village Pagrati between Achaia and Arcadia borders. Vine of Pausanias is a significant monument of nature in the area. It was named by the historian Pausanias when he visited the area. In his Arcadian Pausanias mentions vine as a phenomenon peculiar. It’s age estimated at about 3000 years and length of 100 meters.
In the dominant hill north of the Monastery of Agia Lavra, stands the splendid monument of the nation. It is the memorial of the fighters of the Revolution of 1821, which commemorates the sacrifice of those who fought for the Independence of the Greek Nation against the Turks. The monument was officially revealed on the 24th of March 1971. The monument is composed of three statues depicting the clergy, for their participation in the Revolution, the fighters of the Revolution and Freedom from the Turkish rule. Each year, celebrations are held to commemorate the historical day of the declaration of independence, and the Municipality of Kalavrita organizes activities which include a memorial service, the deposition of wreaths, a one minute silence in the memory of those who fought and the playing of the national anthem.
Memorial Column for the Fighters of the Greek War of Independence
The monastery is situated 10km away from the town of Kalavrita. Built on the wild and steep side of a 120m high rocky hill there is a unique view from the monastery’s balcony. The monastery’s cells have been built around the entrance of a cave. The monastery was founded at this location in 362 A.D. by two brothers, Symeon and Theodore, because an icon of the Virgin Mary was found deep inside the cave where there’s also stream. The icon was discovered by a shepherd girl and was created by Apostle Luke from mastic and wax. In 840 A.C. the Mega Spileo was burnt down by the Iconomachs. In 1285 Andronikos Paleologos rebuilt it and from then on, this monastery became one of the richest in the country. In 1400 and in 1600 the monastery went through another two fires at which point the church was burnt down along with the precious library containing rare manuscripts. In 1934, the monastery went through again with another fire during which invaluable relics were destroyed. The monastery was rebuilt, in 1936, but suffered severe destruction in December 1943 from Germans. Germans executed 22 monks and all other staff members and their bodies thrown […]
The Monastery Of Mega Spilaio
The monastery is located on the right bank of the river Selinountas, opposite the village Lapanagoi of Municipality of Kalavryta, 30 kilometres from the city of Kalavrita and it is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The Monastery which was built in 532 AD by strategist of Makellaria, as shown by an inscription which still exists, in order to atone from slaughter during the famous “Stasi of Nika” in Istanbul. In the centre of the Monastery it is the Panagia Makelarias, which is a small Byzantine church with a beautiful wooden-carved screen, on which it is placed the icon of the Virgin. This is an authentic Byzantine art piece, with a distinctive feature because wherever you stand, the Virgin’s eyes give you the impression that they follow you. The monastery was destroyed by the Turks in 1458 and renovated by the monk Neophytos. The original name of the monastery was the Virgin Mary Lithostrotiotisa, because it is built on a rock. The name “Makelaria” was given to the Monastery during the carnage that took place when the Turks attempted to conquer it in 1458. After many days of siege Turks occupied the monastery and kill the monks and […]
Ιερά Μονή Κοιμήσεως Θεοτόκου Μακελλαριάς
Just 4,5km away from the center of Kalavryta located the monastery of Agia Lavra, surrounding by many trees. Right of the main entrance of the monastery is the church where it is declared and blessed the revolution by the Bishop Paleon Patron Germanos during the feast of the Annunciation in 1821. The revolutionary flag that was raised on the revolution of 1821, today it is stored in the third monastery that is built since the revolution because the second monastery burned by Ibrahim and it was saved only its catholic place. The third monastery also destroyed by earthquake, fire and the Germans in 1943, but rebuilt.Also saved are the diamond encrusted Gospel, which were a gift from Catherine the Great and the vestments and the pastoral rod of Paleon Patron Germanos. The collection complements a large number of crosses of precious stones and other important objects of worship. From the large collection of images stands out the image of Saint Panteleimon dated in the 1600. On 25th of March every year, there are many celebrations with the mainly one to be the representation of the assembly of the chieftains and the raising of the revolution flag. Opening hours of the […]
Moni Agias Lavras
he Elementary School of Kalavryta built in the early 20th century and began operating in 1906. It is a four-grade school with neoclassical architectural elements and specific typology. It is built according to the first state program of construction of school buildings which stood by the engineer of the Ministry of Education, Demetrius Kallias and institutionalized by law in 1895. From the first years of operation it have teachers for all classes and was equipped with teaching aids for the teaching of the historical, linguistic, technical and practical subjects. During the Occupation ceased operations. Used as a school only from September until December 1943. This was the shortest school year in long-term contribution to education. On December 13th, 1943 burnt down by fire caused by the Germans. After the Liberation, the school was rebuilt according to its original architectural design. It reopened in 1955. In 1986, it was declared by the Ministry of Culture a national heritage monument and was designated as the building destined to house the Kalavrita Holocaust Municipal Museum. The School of Kalavryta was one of the most spacious public buildings in the city with a large yard. During the period of occupation from 1941 until the […]
Δημοτικό Μουσείο Καλαβρυτινού Ολοκαυτώματος
The telescope of the National Observatory of Athens named “ARISTARCHOS” is the largest telescope in the Balkans and the second largest in continental Europe, which is at the top “Neraidorahi” at Helmos at an altitude of 2,340 meters. Aristarchus was named in honor of the ancient Greek astronomer Aristarchus. Some of the telescope characteristics is its large field of view that is ideal for participating in international programs, the very good optical quality which have sharp images, the remote control option and the programmable operation over the network from its headquarters in Athens Observatory or from other partner of the Observatories in Greece or abroad, the equipment with modern astronomical instruments such as CCD cameras and spectrographs of high and intermediate resolution. The reasons for preferring the top of Helmos for such a modern and important project of the National Observatory of Athens is that there is provision of functional infrastructure of the establishment of the Ski Centre where it is easy road access, electricity and phone, does not suffer from light pollution of cities as major cities are behind the mountains. It is also one of the darker parts of Europe, the telescope is above the clouds heavily annually […]
It is undoubtedly the most impressive miracle of nature anovlasitikis and a little-known secret. Unfortunately there are no signs, so you have to show your short dirt road south of the village that takes you to a spring and a shrine. Behind the fountain there is a mysterious and pitch dark cave (those having done a cursory exploration of the interior speak for great images and underground lakes!) And after park will descend the steep slope with trees, pressing carefully onto a thick rug platanofylla as the riverbed. There you will see the source of the hum that sounded eerie as on the street: water from different directions mingle over a cave pierced the roof, falling violently in a dark lake and continue to join the Selinunte. The image is highly suggestive with the fine mist of the spray of the waterfalls to humidify the atmosphere, the light plays with the drops xetryponontas ceiling of the cave and the waters to enforce the stone sovereignty of the country. The image is breathtaking, and perhaps that’s why fairies (which certainly lived here) took the voice of the innocent villagers. Undoubtedly from here passed Callisto and all the nymphs of Artemis and […]
Nine are the places of water around the earth, separate from the tenth, the Water of Styga. The waters of the Stygas linked to theological and philosophical ideas, such as the Eleusinian Mysteries and the Orpheus and Pythagorean belief in reincarnation. The Styga is an underground river. The Styga has her plangent palaces in Tartarus (From “tourtourizo”: tar – tar), where Zeus threw the Titans, the Giants and others who opposed his will. Styga lives apart in her glorious rooms, built with stones and long supported all around with silver pillars. Dragons look after her all day and night. In Titanomachy Zeus with the other gods fought against Potter of Saturn, who was assisted by his brothers, the Titans. The Oceanis Styga, who had four children the Kratos, Via, Zilo and Niki, came to help Zeus. The Styga help Zeus also in Gigantomachy. In the waters of the Styga swore all the gods, even the Sun. It was the greatest oath of the gods and in her water gods have their sentences when they were punished. Styga’s name brought fear to gods and humans. They said that no living being would survive if he drank from this water. The glass, […]
Epar.Od. Sarantapichou - Idaton Stigos, Egialia 250 06, Ελλάδα
One of the most important sights in Kalavryta is the Site of Sacrifice, which located at the hill of Kapi. It is east of the town of Kalavryta (500m away from the city center), on the way to Helmos Ski Center. It is the site where the entire male population (14 years old and under) of Kalavrita executed by Germans on December 13, 1943. Now in this area it is a great Cross, which reminds us this heinous crime. In columns that surround the central area are the names of the families of the executed. There is also a catacomb, which has as small hanging lamps as many families of the executed. Next to the catacomb it is a stone sculpture that dominates the pained mother. This is a symbol of human enduring, which created by Anna Vafia. It is symbolize the women heroines of Kalavryta (Mother, sister, grandmother, daughter) who struggled to overexertion reinstall the totally destroyed city. Every year on December 13, after the memorial service in the cathedral of the city leads the mournful procession to the Site of Sacrifice, where a memorial service celebrated Memorial Invitational.
Τόπος Θυσίας Καλαβρύτων
It was built by sultan Vagiazit the Second in 1499 across the castle of Antirrio, to control the passage from the sea, from the Ionian Sea to the Korinthian Bay, which was called “kioutsouk Tsanak Kale”, i.e. “Mikra Dardanellia”. In 1532 it was occupied by the Spaniards and Andrea Doria, and retaken by the Turkish. In 1603, the Knights of Malta caused considerable damage. In 1687, it was conquered by Morosini. There are drastic reconstructions and it is getting its current form: new towers, battlements, strengthening of the ramparts. In 1715 the castle is dominated by the Turkish, while in 1828, after a siege, the Turkish yield it to General Maison. Then, it is repaired and delivered to the Greeks and it is used as a prison for a long time. In World War II, the Germans established in the Castle. Externally, the castle of Rio has the shape of an equilateral triangle whose northern corner coincides with the tip of the peninsula while the two sides are coastal. The south side, except for walls and towers, is also protected by a moat which used to get filled with seawater bringing the Korinthian Bay together with the Patraikos Bay. Beside […]
Close to Planitero into the plane trees forest originates the Aroanios river. It is formed in the villages Planitero and Arbounas from water of the basin of Feneos that arriving here from sinks. Reinforced by the smaller streams Lagada and Xaliki and flows in a southerly direction until it meet with the river Ladon. The length is about 10 km. The sources of the river Aroanios at Planitero village and the forest combined with the possibility of food are just some of the attractive elements that are worth visiting.
Epar.Od. Sarantapichou - Idaton Stigos, Kalavrita 250 07, Ελλάδα
Address: ARAXOS Region: ARAXOS Mun. District / City: LARISSOS Telephone: 26930-51929, 6945879536, 6945151598 Fax: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: Operating Period: ALL YEAR Number of rooms / room type: 5 double rooms with bathroom, shared kitchen, living room & porch Distance from city center: 12 km from K. Achaia …public transportation: 10 m (bus) 9 km (train Lappa) 12 km (train Achaia) 40 km (Patras port) 35 km from Killini 1 km from car rentals …sea: 3 km from beaches of Kalogria, Gianiskari 6km from beach of Lakkopetra 10 km from beach of Niforeika …sights: 300 m from Araxos wall 3 km from Strofilia Room Amenities Lodging Facilities ✔ Τelephone ✔ 24h Service ✔ Internet connection ✔ Parking ✔ TV Accessible to people with disabilities Iron Conference Room Safe Internet connection Hair Dryer Bar ✔ Heating Elevator ✔ Air condition Restaurant ✔ Coffee – Tea Breakfast ✔ Smoking rooms Swimming pool ✔ Minibar Sport facilities ✔ Additonal bed Playground Rooms for disabled Dry cleaner Room-service Exchange Wake up Service Pets allowed Radio ✔ Post services Information center Client transportation Other Other Refrigerator, 3 rooms have porch Secure parking, shared kitchen with dishes and electrical appliances, dvd player, garden, porch
Odontotos railway is project of Charilaos Trikoupi. About 113 years ago Odontotos rack railway started from the seaside town of Diakopto parallel to the river and climbed to Kalavrita through bridges and tunnels. The contract for the construction of the line was signed in 1889 and the construction was finished seven years later. The design of the line was made by French engineers. The project was very difficult due to the inaccessible terrain. On March 10, 1896 the train made its first trip. Since then the Vouraikos river and Odontotos head together. The little train incorporated so well to the natural environment that it seems that it had always been there. The way it was constructed did not put a strain on the ecosystem of the gorge. Using stone and wood from the area the technicians’ work is so perfect that someone may think that the nature worked on its own. The route starts from Diakopto crosses the gorge of Vouraikos Zachlorou passes through the village and ends in Kalavryta. The journey takes about 1 hour. Odontotos is not just the “train”. Vouraikos gorge and rack railway Diakopto-Kalavryta is a unique attraction in Greece. ITINERARIES RACK RAILWAY (Diakopto-Kalavrita): From Diakofto […]
Odontotos (Rack Railway)
Municipality of Erymanthos Legends, secrets, traditions, monuments and treasures in mountainous Achaia The Municipality of Erymanthos is the main and largest mountainous area of the prefecture Achaia which gathers the secrets and legends of the two mountains of Panachaikos and Erymanthos, taking them from yesterday and transferring them to today. It belongs to the Region of Western Greece and was established with the Program Kallikratis, when it came from the unification of the pre-existing Trithea municipalities, Farres and the communities of Kalentzi and Leontiou. The extent of the municipality is 582.93 km². and the population of 8,877 residents according to its inventory 2011. In the villages of Erymanthos and Panachaiikos, as well as the plains of Trithea and Pharaus the visitor can feel the uniqueness of the mountain of Greek nature, knowing about tens of places with natural beauty have the wealth of Greek folk tradition in them. A tradition that is associated with the Greek countryside, the peasantry and the country livestock farming, labor for the land. But on this earth they emerged and cultures and cultures have been developed since prehistoric times and they reach the newer years. This place always had life and was distinguished for its […]
Kalavrita is one of the most tourist areas not only in the prefecture of Achaia, but in whole Greece, cause is an ideal mountain destination that combines every type of vacations. Comfortable hotels, impressive guesthouses and hospitable studios with view in the slopes of Helmos, will cover every taste and need to stay as there are different categories of rooms for each affordability. The nightlife, the bars and the modern cafes combined with the magical beauty of the area, keep the tourist status of Kalavryta at very high levels all months of the year. The snowy slopes of Helmos, the dew and the beautiful climate of the summer in conjunction with the many advantages of the region will offer you a unique vacation that you will remember for a lifetime. Just 77km away from Patras, you will find Kalavryta, a region located at an altitude of 750 meters at the foot of Helmou distinguished by graphic images, lush landscapes, very special archaeological and natural attractions to fill visitors with beautiful memories. Many people are visiting Kalavryta both at winter time, due to the Ski Center, and in summer time due to nice beaches you can find in a 30 minutes […]
Καλάβρυτα 250 01, Ελλάδα
Address: TEMENI Region: AIGIALIA Mun. District / City: AIGIO Telephone: 2610-520000, 6944318444 Fax: Email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.legardindetemeni.gr Operating Period: ALL YEAR Number of rooms / room type: 3 appartements (6 rooms) Distance from city center: 0 m …public transportation: 4 km …sea: 800 m …sights: Room Amenities Lodging Facilities ✔ Τelephone ✔ 24h Service ✔ Internet connection ✔ Parking ✔ TV ✔ Accessible to people with disabilities ✔ Iron Conference Room Safe ✔ Internet connection ✔ Hair Dryer Bar ✔ Heating Elevator ✔ Air condition Restaurant ✔ Coffee – Tea Breakfast Smoking rooms Swimming pool Minibar ✔ Sport facilities ✔ Additonal bed ✔ Playground Rooms for disabled Dry cleaner ✔ Room-service Exchange Wake up Service Pets allowed Radio Post services Information center ✔ Client transportation Other Other Books, board games. Rooms are located in an estate of 8000 square meters at the center of the village next to the church.
Garden of Temeni aigio
Address: ZAROUCHLA Region: AKRATA Mun. District / City: AKRATA Telephone: 26960-35083 Fax: 26910-71907 Email: email@example.com Website: www.zarouchla.gr Operating Period: ALL YEAR Number of rooms / room type: 10 rooms Distance from city center: 35 km from Akrata …public transportation: 35 km from Akrata …sea: 35 km from Akrata …sights: 100 km from Delfous 120 km from Ancient Olympia 160 km from Athens 50 km from Aigio Room Amenities Lodging Facilities ✔ Τelephone 24h Service Internet connection ✔ Parking ✔ TV ✔ Accessible to people with disabilities ✔ Iron ✔ Conference Room Safe Internet connection ✔ Hair Dryer ✔ Bar ✔ Heating Elevator Air condition Restaurant Coffee – Tea ✔ Breakfast Smoking rooms Swimming pool Minibar Sport facilities ✔ Additonal bed Playground ✔ Rooms for disabled Dry cleaner ✔ Room-service Exchange Wake up Service Pets allowed Radio Post services Information center Client transportation
The church located 30km away from the city of Kalavryta, on the road Kalavryta – Aigio through Pteri. In a green area is the church of Panagia Plataniotissa that was formed in the cavity of a huge plane tree, which came from three plane trees that grew together, and over the years came together and created remarkable masterpiece of nature. This historical plane tree is 25m high. The perimeter of its base is 16m approximately, and in the middle is 12.65 meters and it has capacity of 20 people. There is a small temple with two columns which form the Beautiful Gate. The image of the Panagias Vrefokratousas is depicted on the plane at a height of 3 meters above the ground inside the pit, which according to tradition, the image reflected in the tree during the iconoclasm, when monks of the Great Cave in order to save the image of Panagias Vrefokratousas, they carried it from place to place and so they spent one night in the village Klapatsouna (as it was called then), in the natural hollow of the plane tree. That morning when they took the picture to continue their way, they saw surprised an imprint of […]
Ekklisia Naos Plataniotissas
The Cave of the Lakes located on the road Kalavryta – Kleitoria at an altitude of 827 meters. It is 17km from Kalavryta and 9km from Klitoria. The road passes a few meters from the technical cave entrance and right next to the physics. The Cave of the Lakes still impresses visitors with its name. Lakes in the interior of the cave is not something ordinary or universal, nor for Greece, it is a unique geological phenomenon. The cave can be divided into 3 sections: The first section is dry around 80 meters in length and the floor is covered with thick horizontal layer of red earth. The second section has a length of 700 meters featuring the series of lakes. The third and largest section is 50 meters long. It is a rare creation of Nature. Apart from its labyrinth of corridors, its mysterious galleries and its strange stalactite formations, the “Cave of the Lakes” has something exclusively unique that does not exist in other well known caves. Inside the cave there is a string of cascading lakes forming three different levels that establish its uniqueness in the world. Its explored length is 1980 meters. The developed part of […]
Σπήλαιο Λιμνών Καστριών